NKPR has been SKYY Vodka’s Public Relations agency of record since 2008 managing media relations, social media, events, strategic partnerships and sponsorships for the spirit brand in Canada.
In 2011, with TIFF celebrating its 35 anniversary, SKYY Vodka – the Official Vodka of the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF) – wanted to make a “splash” unlike no other spirit brand had ever done at the Festival. NKPR devised and executed a high-profile, multi-platform PR and social media program inspired by the brand’s sophisticated, sexy market positioning that “cut through the clutter” of their competitors’ ballooning TIFF marketing budgets, reinforced SKYY Vodka’s partnership status with the Festival and kept SKYY Vodka consistently top-of-mind with media and consumers in advance, during and after TIFF.
STRATEGY AND TACTICS:
NKPR leveraged SKYY Vodka’s TIFF involvement through a comprehensive, multi-layered program incorporating media relations, media partnerships, celebrity-inspired cocktails, a highly anticipated pre-TIFF Cocktail Countdown media event, high-profile TIFF-related event sponsorships and activations, including a high-impact surprise “SKYY Tease” aerial stunt.
In weeks prior to the stunt, NKPR built buzz around the “Secret Tease” campaign via media teasers, a Virgin Radio partnership, social media engagement, nightly wall projections and on-premise marketing. SKYY’s role in this “Secret Tease” campaign was unknown and unveiled at the event.
The SKYY Tease performance consisted of a burlesque dancer performing a dazzling routine in a giant SKYY blue martini glass raised more than 35 ft in the air. Taking place at the new epicentre of TIFF – the Bell Lightbox – the stunt was attended by high-profile media, key bloggers and prominent photographers, as well as consumers and crowds that formed in anticipation of the performance. Attendees were then invited to a post-stunt pop-up bar to toast the anniversary year and kick-off the the Festival with a celebrity-inspired SKYY cocktail.
In addition to the pre-festival “Secret Tease” media stunt, NKPR executed an integrated TIFF campaign from sponsorship of key public and private events to media relations, social media and strategic partnerships to garner strong pre-festival and ongoing media coverage during TIFF.
- The buzz campaign and dazzling aerial stunt drew a large crowd of excited media and spectators, thus positioning SKYY as an intriguing brand and a key player at TIFF
- Local print, broadcast and social media coverage of the SKYY Vodka “Secret Tease” campaign included the front-page of Metro Toronto, Marketing Magazine, NOW Magazine, Strategy Magazine, CityTV, CP24, CHCH and Toronto Moda
- National, regional and international coverage for SKYY Vodka’s additional film festival involvement including events and official cocktails included the Toronto Star, Toronto Sun, Metro, 24 Hours, Toronto Life, Sweetspot.ca and MSN.ca
- Reach: more than 150 million impressions garnered through media and social media regarding the brand’s involvement at TIFF
- The continued development and fostering of strong strategic alliances with partners including Virgin Radio, Hello! Magazine, Alliance Films