Tis the season to eat, drink and be merry! Although it is a time of celebration, it can also be very stressful trying to pull everything together. Luckily, NKPR is here to help you to plan the perfect holiday party.
So from our family to yours, here’s a list all of the things you need to be plan the most enviable party of the season…
Mmm there is nothing that says the holidays like the smell of peppermint, apple cider and roasted nuts. Thanks to DAVIDsTEA, these wonderful holiday smells have now been bottled – well, in the form of a candle! These 100% soy wax candles (inspired by some DAVIDsTEA fan-favourites) are the perfect way to create a warm and inviting atmosphere at your holiday party. They are environmentally friendly, long-lasting and they come in adorable mason jars so they look as great as they smell. Your guests will be greeted by festive cheer the moment they step into the room!
Cooking for a large group of people can be extremely challenging, not to mention the difficulties in pleasing each of your special guests. Good thing pasta is a huge crowd pleaser and offers variety to your holiday spread! Barilla pasta has a wide selection of white, whole grain, egg and gluten-free pasta. Get creative! Offer a Farfalle with fava beans and smoked pancetta, or a Rotini pasta salad with walnuts, sun-dried tomatoes, parmigiano reggiano cheese and basil – the possibilities are endless!
No need to put your health kick on hiatus for the holidays! Eat Nakd Whole Food Snack Bars inspired some delicious snacks perfect for your guests to munch on by the fireplace. This quick and easy recipe will allow your guests to indulge in those sweet holiday cravings guilt-free! Try one of Eat Nakd’s other signature flavours to create your own holiday-inspired decadent desserts.
Eat Naked Truffles with Sea Salt
1 ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup cream cheese
½ cup icing sugar
½ teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
5 Eat Nakd 35 g bar, roughly chopped
½ cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
½ teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
Beat the coconut, cream cheese, icing sugar and extract with Eat Nakd Bars until smooth. Roll into 1 ½ inch balls and place on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Freeze for about one hour. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the chocolate and coconut oil, while stirring constantly. Dip each coconut ball into the melted chocolate with a fork, covering the ball completely with chocolate, letting the excess drain through the fork tongs. Use a spoon to lightly push truffle off fork and back onto the wax paper. Spring with sea salt. Refrigerate until set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Provide your guests with that festive, warm and fuzzy feeling by serving Schloer Winter Iced Tea Cocktails, the perfect refreshment for your holiday party! The Swiss sparkling grape–based refreshment, is débuting in Canada just in time for the holiday party-hosting season. Consisting of only the very best in fruit juices from concentrate and purest waters, Shloer contains no preservatives, artificial colours, sweeteners or flavourings. Alone or mixed with your favourite spirits, it offers a wonderful, sparkling toast to the season!
Presentation of the food you’re serving is just as important as the taste. Enhance your table’s decor by adding some Zwilling ceramics and cookwares to beautifully display the dishes you’ve so carefully prepared. The Staub Ceramic Terrine combines functional design, exceptional quality and elegant presentation; a beautiful addition to your party. Take a fresh-cooked loaf straight from the oven to your table and give your guests the taste of comfort food that reminds them of being home at Mom’s for the holidays!
We all know that the best memories are made around the dinner table. It is where friends and family gather to embrace each other over delicious food and stimulating conversation, and it is important to create a beautiful setting to share these moments. Make your dining room the highlight of your party with design inspiration from interior designer Lori Morris. These elegant table setting ideas will make a statement at your party and will be guaranteed to help make the memories surrounding the table last a lifetime.
If there’s one good thing that comes from the cold, grey months of fall-winter, it’s the delicious comfort-foods filled with rich, hearty ingredients that bring us back to our childhoods with warm fireplaces and bustling dinner tables.
There’s no secret about it… pasta is absolutely an NKPR favourite. In honour of the Italian staple, we’ve rounded up some of our favourite recipes from a variety of restaurants around Toronto featuring different types of Barilla pasta.
Orecchiette with Sausage and Rapini – Recipe by Chef Saverio Macri
150g Barilla Orecchiette Pasta
Rapini – ½ a bunch
1 Whole Spicy Sausage
50g Fontina Cheese
2 cloves Garlic
Extra Virgin olive oil to taste
Parmesan & Fontina Cheese
– Put pasta in boiling water for 10-12 minutes and the rapini for 5-7 minutes (until fork tender)
– In the meantime, get a pan and add olive oil and brown some sausage. – Next, throw in the garlic and let brown together. – Toss in the cooked Orecchiette and rapini, and finish it with parmesan and fontina cheese. Serves 2
Did you know? “Orecchiette” means little ears in Italian – and that’s because the pasta is shaped like little ears.
Federico Fellini Farfalle alla Bolognese – Recipe by Chef Eron Novalski
500 g Barilla Farfalle Pasta
2.5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 tbsp butter
1/2 carrot, finely, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/2 rib celery, finely diced
1/2 pound veal, ground
1/2 pound fresh pork sausage
1/4 pound pancetta or slab bacon, ground
1/2 tube tomato paste
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup dry white wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Parmigiano-Reggiano, for grating
– In a 6 to 8-quart, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots and sweat over medium heat until the vegetables are translucent and soft but not browned, about 10 to 15 minutes. – Add the veal, pork, and pancetta and stir into the vegetables. – Add the meat over high heat, stirring to keep the meat from sticking together until browned.
– Add the tomato paste, milk, and wine and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. – Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and remove from the heat. – When ready to use, the cooked Barilla Farfalle pasta should be added to a saucepan with the appropriate amount of hot ragu Bolognese, and tossed so that the pasta is evenly coated by the ragu.
Rigatoni “Alla Carbonara” – Recipe by Chef Giacomo Pasquini
1lb Rigatoni Barilla Pasta
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup guanciale (pancetta) cut in lardons
Pregiato Black Truffle
– Cook the Guanciale in a fry pan with the oil until crispy and set aside
– Mix the egg, yolks, pecorino and the black pepper together in a bowl and set aside
– Cook the pasta. When it is nice and al “dente” drain it and pour it in the fry pan with the crispy guanciale. – Turn the heat on, add some pasta water and leave it a bit moist than usual. Turn heat off. Add the eggs and cheese mix, sauté off heat until nice and smooth. – Add extra black pepper and truffle Serves 6 – 8
**NKPR Tip: We recommend our favourite Zwilling cookwares to prepare this dish. Pasta cooks beautifully in the Zwilling Prime pots while offering guests parmesan cheese in these ramekins.
Cut Ziti with Arugula Pesto *Vegetarian – Recipe by Chef Paolo Marabello,
400 g Cut Ziti Barilla Pasta
1 cup Basil leaves
2 cup Arugula salad
1/2 cup Pinenuts
1 Garlic clove
1/2 cup of Pecorino Chese
1/3 cup of Parmesan
1 cup cherry tomatoes – cut in half
1/2 cup of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
– Put basil, arugula, garlic, pinenuts, pecorino cheese and extra virgin olive oil in the mixer and blend well for a one minute.
Meanwhile: – cook the pasta until al dente – Sauté cherry tomatoes with a little olive oil – Drain Pasta, but keep 2 spoonfuls of cooking water. – Mix the pasta with cherry tomatoes and pesto sauce. Add the 2 spoonfuls of cooking water. – Serve with shaved parmesan cheese and buon appetite! Serves 4 people