It was an exceptionally special night at the 3rd annual Canadian Arts and Fashion Awards (CAFA 2016), held at the Fairmont Royal York on Friday, April 15th. Fashion industry insiders, media and celebrities came out in droves to celebrate Canada’s best and brightest fashion talent. Notable guests included the evening’s host Kim Cattrall, Madame Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, supermodels Karlie Kloss and Coco Rocha, fashion designer Tanya Taylor, singer Mia Martina & more! From the red carpet gowns, to the George Pimentel portrait studio and eTalk’s celebrity green room, to the beautiful awards and acceptance speeches, CAFA 2016 truly was a night to remember!
Key highlights from the night included:
– In her opening monologue, host Kim Cattrall highlighted shopping centre Square One as a leader in showcasing Canadian fashion – kudos!
– Canadian designer Wayne Clark received a standing ovation as he took the stage to accept his Outstanding Achievement Award, presented by Nicholas Mellamphy. A modest and appreciative Clark began his acceptance speech with, “I have spent the better part of this day trying to think of something poignant and appropriate to say…” Clearly his efforts paid off as he left the stage with not a dry eye in the house. A very inspiring moment for one of Canada’s greats!
– Supermodel Karlie Kloss presented the Joe Fresh Fashion Innovation award, garnering laughs and applause with her “I’m an honourary Canadian!” declaration!
– Madame Sophie Grégoire Trudeau inspired guests with a lovely tribute to Canadian fashion industry and the importance it has on our culture. “I strongly believe that our country is home to world class talent,” Trudeau said. “Fashion can have a profound impact on our community, our culture and our ability to help one another“.
– Global fashion and lifestyle icon Elle Macpherson accepted the Vanguard Award presented by Hudson’s Bay for her incredible career achievements.
– Singer/songwriter Mia Martina and model Kate King presented the Fashion Design Student Award to newcomer Hamish Thwaites, while model Winnie Harlow stopped to snap a selfie on the red carpet! #werkit
– Elle Macpherson and Karlie Kloss were spotted chatting together in the eTalk green room following their red carpet appearance… Swapping model tips perhaps?
– …and many more memorable moments!
Below is the full list of award winners! Congratulations to all winners and nominees.
2016 Official Canadian Arts & Fashion Awards Winners
The Womenswear Designer of the Year Award
The Menswear Designer of the Year Award
Wings + Horns
The Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent, Fashion
The Swarovski Award for Emerging Talent, Accessories
The Accessory Designer of the Year Award
WANT Les Essentiels
The Joe Fresh Fashion Innovation Award
Frank & Oak
The Fashion Design Student Award
The Image Maker Award
The International Canadian Designer of the Year Award
The Stylist of the Year Award
The Model of the Year Award
The Sephora Fresh Face of the Year Award
The Fashion Impact Award
The Fashion Blogger of the Year Award
The Vanguard Award Presented by Hudson’s Bay
Outstanding Achievement Award
For photos from Canada’s most fashionable evening, see the gallery below!